GO GATORS!

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Great is THY faithfulness

Gosh what a day.
I got up early and prepared food for Bro. Sam's funeral today. I am strange in the fact that I love to FEED folks!haha While I was preparing the greenbeans I thought of how sad the services would be today and I somewhat dreaded saying goodbye to a wonderful man and mentor. I thought of the family members that would be eating today after burying their "Daddy". Now I am already somewhat jealous that they had a Daddy growing up and I didn't. So I have nothing to compare it to. My dad left us 3 little girls when we were toddlers. He wasn't a very nice male.
He was very handsome but not nice!! And I said male not man on purpose!!!
I am friends with Bro Sam's daughter Ann. I had done some work for in the past and we sort of bonded. I told her back then what an awesome father & mother she had although I know she knew that.
I just wanted her to know someone else thought so too!!! :-)

At the services today I was in awe of the priceless things that were said about Sam. His children & gran children had so many praises for him about what a great "Daddy" he was and the many important things that he had taught and instilled in them. When Tiffany(Ann's daughter) told that her POP POP didn't read her fairytales but read her stories out of the bible I lost it!
How precious is that. That's what Daddy's and POP POP'S are suppose to do. That's what I missed as a child. No man figure to teach 3 little girls the important things in life. I wish I could tell Daddy's everywhere to pay attention to your children. We need to learn from you. you are the other half of our family unit. There are some things mom's aren't equipped to teach but do what they can when you don't show up. Someone suffers.The 3 little girls. We go through life not knowing what Daddy's are suppose to do? We never had one of those Daddy people to show us!
What's so ironic is I don't recall thinking it was strange that I didn't have a dad in my life.
It was hush hush in my family and was NEVER to be discussed. It wasn't until about 9 years ago that I found my dad and other siblings.My father was deceased. After hearing their stories of abuse I guess these 3 little girls were blessed to be raised by a single mom. When I saw the photos of Bro. Sam and Mrs. Jackie today I felt the love that their family had for one another. It was oozing out in every picture. WOW, a Daddy's love, awesome. I felt like saying "well done Bro Sam, well done"

I decided a long time ago that I would let Jesus be my Daddy because I knew at the age of 13 that he loved me and would NEVER leave me and would always "show up" when I needed him.
Ya just can't ask for more than that from a Daddy!
I'm good with that.

I raised my daughter mostly by myself but I always made sure she got to spend time with her daddy. Alot of times it was costly to fly her to where he was stationed but I knew it was important for my little girl to be the apple of his eye. and she is. :-)

In closing I just want to say that Bro Sam oozed Jesus. He was a man of faith and I sure want me some of what he had. I want to ooz!!!
Say goodnight Chet
Goodnight David
Goodnight POP POP

God is good all the time.
Today I am calling lil duck Avery. Tomorrow he will be Carson. I am trying on names like my kids are doing. I know they won't pay attention to what I am saying but its my way of bonding with Lil Duck, uh I mean Avery.
"Babies are so brand new said Pooh!"

1 comment:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

What a blessing Brother Sam was to us all! What a legacy he left behind. I have heard countless stories about him and his grandchildren and how he has ministered to them through the years. Like you I didn't have this kind of father until I was 13 years old and my mother met the most beautiful man! I love you Donna! Thanks for a great post!